Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Planning a Lesson!

Creating a lesson plan is a long process with many steps involved. Before beginning my lesson plan on "Bar Graphs", I researched about how other teacher's taught Bar Graphs and I also used the resources on Moodle as a reference. The Direct Instruction Lesson Plan Frame was my best friend throughout the process of creating my lesson.

The hardest part for me was figuring out what I was going to teach and what it was going to take for me to help my students understand what I am teaching. My biggest fear going into this profession would be that I would not be successful in helping my students reach automaticity in their learning. I know I can do this but there are times when I think of the what if's and I begin to doubt myself but then I get up there in front of a classroom and I feel totally at ease and extremely comfortable.

I spent a few hours so far with my teacher that I will be observing for going over what I am going to teach and presenting her with ideas. I have also begun my observations. Throughout my time in the classroom I am rarely sitting down. I have helped the teacher review word problems, I go over their "Do Now" problems with them before their lesson for the day, and I also go over the answers with them to their homework assignment from the night before. According to Mrs. Ferguson (The 4th grade teacher I am observing) one is born to be a teacher, it is in their hearts. She continued to tell me that I either am or I am not and that my job is to prove to her that I am born to be a teacher (And thank goodness she told me I have proven to her that I am).

I have enjoyed creating my lesson plan and coming up with the ideas for the lesson. It is very time consuming, but I care enough about it to put in the time and energy that it deserves into the planning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment