Sunday, October 10, 2010

I Think I'll Put My Thinking Cap On For This One!


This week in classes involved a lot of thinking, in my opinion. The first reading that I read on moodle involved the topic of assessment. It was a good read for me because it refreshed my memory on the types of assessment and the different methods of going about assessing children to find out what they have learned as a result of the teacher teaching. The internet also has a lot of resources to help a college student understand assessment. The link provided is a slideshow from slideshare.net that talks about assessment. This slideshow helped me to even further understand assessment and how it is being used in the 21st century.

I also read about Models, Strategies, and Methods. From reading the chapter I was able to give my own definitions of the following words:

Model- The broadest approaches to teaching (Behavioural, Information Processing, Social Interaction, and Personal).
Strategy- A set of steps that the teacher needs to follow in order to reach a goal.
Method- The most specific way of implementing a strategy.
Skills- are the learned capacities in order to carry out pre-determined results.
These four words are very important when it comes to teaching, in my opinion.

Lastly, this week i learned about the differences between aims, goals, and objectives. I got to work on formulating my own objectives using the Mount Saint Mary College's CBC format. I have to admit this is something I struggle with. I did feel that the more practice I had formulating objectives, the better I was becoming at it. Some of the objetives I formulated were:
1. Given twenty cubes, the student will practice counting by fives, with no error.
2. Given a microscope, the student will examine two slides, writing atleast five differences between the two in their science journals.
3. Given pictures of the planets, the student will create a poster, displaying the planets in correct order.

Overall, I walked away from the second week learning a lot and I am excited for the weeks to come.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren Great Blog! I like how you used different colors for paragraphs as well as key words. I like how you clearly labeled your points by underlining and numbers. I also really like your picture very cute! I also liked how you included what helped you in learning I will def. check the link out.Good job!

    ReplyDelete